COVID - Provision For Remote Learning
This information is intended to provide clarity and transparency to pupils and parents or careers about what to expect from remote education where national or local restrictions require entire cohorts (or bubbles) to remain at home.
For details of what to expect where individual pupils are self-isolating, please see the final section of this page.
A pupil’s first day or two of being educated remotely might look different from our standard approach, while we take all necessary actions to prepare for a longer period of remote teaching.
What should my child expect from immediate remote education in the first day or two of pupils being sent home?
- The same curriculum remotely as we do in school.
- We will deliver a minimum of two virtual “live lessons” and when appropriate deliver small group work for some children.
- Learning will be submitted and feedback provided via Google Classroom regularly throughout the period of remote learning.
- Assemblies will be delivered virtually.
- Follow up learning activities and challenges will be set to enhance and develop learning from the live lessons.
- We will provide devices for children who are unable to access them at home and assist with any requirements for the internet.
- Devices will be issued to all children who require them. Please contact the head teacher on 0161 432 4941 to arrange to borrow a device.
- If you wish your child to complete the learning on paper we can assist by printing out worksheets and supporting materials on a Monday for the week ahead. These can be collected from school.
- The school will provide a bag of equipment and stationary including books, a whiteboard etc, for all children.
- If you do not wish to submit your child’s learning online, then this can be returned to school and teachers will provide direct feedback to your child once they have reviewed the home learning. If remote learning is required for an extended period this can be done on a weekly basis.
- There will be live lessons for all of the core subjects with a minimum of two lessons a day.
- Staff will also use pre-recorded lessons that either they have created or are available on Oak National Accademy.
- CGP books and reading books that pupils have at home.
- In addition the school also uses the following sites and apps to enhance the children’s education. TT Rockstars, Letter Join, SPAG, Doodle Maths, Reading Plus and Phonics Play.
- Assemblies will take place virtually.
- If remote education is required for an extended period, pre-recorded PE lessons will also be provided.
- We understand that completing remote learning at home can be challenging for all families and children and we want to work in partnership with our parents.
- We have designed a provision that encourages children to work independently.
- Children have had additional lessons on how to access and use Google Classroom independently from Year 2 upwards.
- We understand that deadlines for learning have to be flexible. Some families may need to complete learning at different times.
- Live lessons are recorded and available on the stream to watch at an alternative time.
- We are available for any parent who wishes to discuss their child’s learning via email and will respond promptly to any concerns.
- We endeavour to get the balanced of activities right and always appreciate feedback from parents.
- If a child is not participating in virtual lessons or submitting learning, class teachers will initially reach out to parents a part of our check in process.
- this may then be followed up with support from our learning mentor, e.g. a supportive phone call with parents or a virtual catch up with the child.
- If the child continues to struggle to engage at home then a personalised programme of support would be put in place.
Feedback can take many forms and may not always mean extensive written comments for individual children. For example, whole-class feedback or quizzes marked automatically via digital platforms are also valid and effective methods, amongst many others. Our approach to feeding back on pupil work is as follows:
- Children will be able to submit their learning via Google Classroom and will receive written feedback or verbal feedback (using Mote App) on their learning.
- In live lessons direct feedback will be provided to the whole class and misconceptions will be addressed.
- Instant feedback will be provided through the use of platforms such as Kahoot.
- Feedback will take place regularly throughout the period of remote learning and in particular will focus on pieces of extended learning.
How will you work with me to help my child who needs additional support from adults at home to access remote education?
We recognise that some pupils, for example some pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) may not be able to access remote education without support from adults at home. We acknowledge the difficulties this may place on families, and we will work with parents and careers to support those pupils in the following ways:
- All of our children with EHCPs will have access to the Rainbow Classroom (virtually) which has films and individual programs of learning on it. For example physio programmes and speech and language sessions.
- In addition our children with EHCPs have access to specialist teaching for PE and use of equipment.
- Children in Reception and Year 1 will be taught virtually in small groups to encourage high levels of engagement. They will also have pre-recorded sessions available and practical resources to support home learning.
Where individual pupils need to self-isolate but the majority of their peer group remains in school, how remote education is provided will likely differ from the approach for whole groups. This is due to the challenges of teaching pupils both at home and in school.
If my child is not in school because they are self-isolating, how will their remote education differ from the approaches described above?
- If a child is required to self-isolate initially we will provide paper based home learning via Google Classrooms.
- We will then move on to live streaming two lessons per day using Google Classroom and set follow up learning via our platform.We will endeavour to replicate the learning in the classroom as much as possible.
- Children will also have learning set on the different school platforms. This will vary on the age of the child but will include TT Rockstars, Phonics Play, SPAG, Letter Join, Doodle Maths and Reading Plus.